Do Visit my very own 'Food' Blog' for delicious meals

Saturday 7 April 2007

Provoked...a good film...

I went for a film today after nearly three month. I went to see ‘Provoked’. My first disappointment was that the movie was dubbed in Hindi. I would have preferred to watch it in English. Anyway, my disappointed soon wearied off when I got engrossed in the movie. I really enjoyed it very much. Aishwarya Rai is a good actress and she has proved it once again that she can make you identify with the social problems and make you react to it. The movie makes you sympathizes with women, who leave their families and go in a distant land to live with a strange man. If the husband is abusive then life become hell, and she lives in fear in her husband’s prison. She gets her freedom in jail, where she is able to change her outlook and learns to express herself freely. In 'Provoked' Aishwarya Rai plays the real-life role of battered wife Kiranjeet Ahluwalia who was compelled to kill her husband Unable to bear the brutality and repeated rapes by her alcoholic husband, Punjabi housewife based in UK, Kiranjit Ahluwalia (Aishwarya Rai) sets fire to her abusive husband, Deepak Ahluwalia (Naveen Andrews) and kills him unintentionally. She is sentenced to life imprisonment where she befriends her cellmate, a wealthy white woman named Veronica Scott (Miranda Richardson), from whom she learns English. Her cell mate is so moved by her story that she asks her step-brother, Edward Foster (Robbie Coltrane), a respected Queen’s Counsel, to file her appeal. Her case comes to the notice of a group of social workers running the Southall Black Sisters organisation. They bring her plight to the attention of the media by organizing rallies. She is ultimately freed by the judicial system in the landmark case called Regina vs Ahluwalia that redefined the word ‘provocation’ in the case of a battered woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your name while making comments... be kind :)

Featured post

The Year That It Was - 2015

I have poor memory therefore I tend to forget the good and the bad times easily. What is past is forgotten, each day I try my best that my ...

"I shall seize the fate by its throat....

"I shall seize the fate by its throat....
"I shall seize the fate by its throat....It shall certainly not bend nor crush me completely"

Out of Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails